But the good news is that it is in fact almost the end. And that means Summer is on the horizon! For many families, Summer is synonymous with beach vacations, summer camp, traveling, family reunions and so much more. My family takes time to relax and "catch up" on things. Things like reading.
Reading is a great way to stay informed, creative and it keeps your mind sharp. And we all know how difficult that is when becoming pregnant and even in the days, weeks and months after giving birth. It's good to have a variety of reading materials around (not just pregnancy and child rearing books) so you aren't bored or overwhelmed with all the parenting advice.
Before my husband and I became crazy busy with family, careers, volunteer work and overall adulting, we used to read so much more. Books, magazines, research articles, the news and blogs too. But lately, we have only had the time to read children's books with our son and the Sunday paper (when we get the chance). So this Summer we have committed to reading more (adult) books. We had a growing wishlist and recently decided to order them all from Amazon. Let me tell you, it was like Christmas when the books arrived!
So what I am reading this Summer?
- Now You're Talking: An Innovative Approach to Problem Solving for SLPs and Parents by Jeanine Morton M.A, CCC-SLP I connected with the author, Jeanine on Facebook before the end of 2016 just as her book was released. I was excited to get more insight as to how my husband and I can continue to work with our son and improve his speech. Book review coming soon.
- Adorned: Living Out the Beauty of the Gospel Together by Nancy DeMoss Wolgemuth Recently I made the decision to become more involved in the Women's Ministry in my church. A few weeks ago I signed up for the "Adorned Challenge" and I was paired with another woman who would be my book buddy as we learn how to live out our purpose modeling Titus 2. Once I finish the book, I will pass it off to her and we will meet as a group to discuss the book in August. So far so good!
- Residue: Surviving and Overcoming the Stains of Generational Curses and Soul Ties by Debbie L. London My friend and college classmate Debbie London just released her first book and it is getting rave reviews! It has already reached and healed so many people and I can't wait to dive in and read it! Book review also coming soon.
- Here's the Plan: Your Practical, Tactical Guide to Advancing Your Career During Pregnancy and Parenting by Allyson Downey One day last year while scrolling through Instagram, I came across a post from the author Allyson Downey. Her book had just hit number one on the New York Times Best Seller List and I knew I needed this book!
- The Case for Impeachment by Allan J. Lichtman This book is one of my husband's picks, but the title has me so intrigued!
- This Fight is Our Fight: The Battle to Save America's Middle Class by Elizabeth Warren This is another one of my husband's picks and it's on my list because I LOVE Elizabeth Warren! She is such an inspiration for me as woman who is now fully engulfed in my local political community. I am especially looking forward to reading her book.
- The House Divided by Kimberla Lawson Roby I read my first Kimberla Lawson Roby book (Casting the First Stone) during my first year of college and I was hooked. She definitely has a way with words and left me wanting more. I'm sure this book will be just the same!
While I have started the first three books on my list, I hope to start and finish all of them by the end of the August. What are your plans for the Summer? Does it include reading? Don't just encourage your children to read this Summer. Create your own Summer reading list and see where the words take you! You never know how you may become inspired!